SDMC to set up Delhi’s first solar energy plant
Promoting the use of green energy in the city, the South Delhi Municipal Corporation on Friday signed a memorandum of understanding with the Power Trading Corporation India Ltd. to establish the first municipal solar energy plant in city. It will have the capacity to generate 2.5 MW of electricity.
The plant will be established at 9.42 acres of land in Ferozpur Village (Faridabad) which is leased out for a period of 25 years. “The land belongs to the unified Municipal Corporation and lying unutilised for years as the hot mix plant constructed here became defunct. So the corporation decided to use the place for establishing solar plant,” said a senior SDMC official.
The project will cost ₹1,187 lakh. Out of this, 70 % amount would be raised through loan by the SDMC and the remaining 30 % will be contributed equally by SDMC and PTC Ltd.
To run the project, a team would be constituted for execution, operation of the project and include officials from both the agencies. As per agreement, after 25 years the whole plant will belong to the SDMC.
“The solar plant will help in reducing the emission of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by approximately 3000 tonnes per year and restricting the use of coal to generate electricity,” said Puneet Goel, commissioner, EDMC.
Goel stated that the project will be a win-win opportunity for the Corporation in every sense. “It will help the SDMC to earn 16 % internal rate of return on the capital (₹148 lakh) invested as part of its portion, annually. Apart from this, the SDMC will also earn ₹ 7.26 lakh per annum through leasing of its land for the project,” he said.
“We could have utilised the electricity at our schools but the site is 20 km away from Delhi and it will involve lot of expenditure in supplying the electricity,” said SDMC official.
The land lying idle for the past many years might be encroached if not utilised, said Subhash Arya, leader of house, SDMC. “Apart from establishing solar plant here, we will also look into the option of using the vacant portion here for agriculture purposes based on modern techniques,” he said.
Ajit Kumar, director, PTC said, “It is just a starting. We will provide all technical, financial and managerial support to the corporation in making the project successful.”
SDMC has also chalking out plan to establish another such solar plant at Gummanhera. Besides it is also working with PTC to install roof top Solar Power generation plant in schools and SDMC buildings.