How does solar fencing work? Advantages and applications
What is Solar Fencing?
Security has become a crucial subject in today’s time and ensuring the safety of one’s property, crops, colonies, factories, etc. has become everyone’s primary concern. Solar fencing is a modernized and unconventional method which is one of the best options of providing security as it is both effective as well as efficient. Not only does solar fencing guarantee the safety of one’s property, but it also uses renewable solar energy for its functioning. A solar fence works like an electric fence which delivers a brief yet fierce shock when human beings or animals come in contact with the fence. The shock enables a deterrent effect while ensuring that no loss of life is caused.
Features of a solar fence:
- Low maintenance cost
- Highly reliable as it functions irrespective of grid failure
- No physical harm caused to human beings or animals
- Makes use of renewable solar energy
- Generally, comes with a centralized alarm system
- Conformity with national and international safety standards
Components of a solar fencing system:
- Charge control unit (CCU)
- Fence voltage alarm (FVAL)
- Photovoltaic module
Working principle of solar fencing system
The working of a solar fencing system starts when the solar module generates direct current (DC) from sunlight which is used to charge the system’s battery. Depending on sunlight hours and capacity, the system’s battery can generally last for as long as 24 hours in a day.
The output of the charged battery reaches the controller or fencer or charger or energizer. When powered, the energizer produces a brief yet sharp voltage.
The primary function of the energizer is to produce pulses of nearly 8000 volts that are sharp and short-lived. These pulses are passed through the wires of the fencing system at a rate of around 1 pulse every 1-1.5 second with every pulse lasting for nearly 3 ms, thus ensuring that no physical harm is caused to the intruder who attempts to come in contact with the solar fence.
Areas of application:
- Solar fencing has a wide scope of application and can be used at places like:
- Domestic applications such as at residential homes
- Industrial applications such as at factories
- Agricultural applications such as in farms and forests
- Parks & Zoos
- Military stations & police stations
- Schools & hospitals
Advantages of using solar fencing over electric/conventional fencing:
- Easy construction and maintenance
- Low cost as independent of grid supply
- Does not cause fatal injuries
- Capable of being shifted, extended, modified and re-erected from one place to another without causing wastage of materials or labour
- Long-life due to the absence of any physical pressures causing wear and tear
source- The Hindu