IGBC Health and Well-being Rating for COVID re-entry
Whole world is suffering from a pandemic right now and it has affected our workplaces more than ever. There is a wide agreement that health of an individual is the most important thing at workplace or at home. We need to make our buildings healthier in order to make ourselves healthier.
We have already been spending a large amount of time indoors but this pandemic has forced us to work, play and live inside the buildings.
IGBC Health and Well-being Rating
The IGBC Health & Well-being Rating is designed primarily fornew buildings and existing buildings of all commercial developments, which are occupied and in operation for at least 1 year.This unique rating recognises that ‘Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of diseasesor infirmity’ and adopts a holistic ‘Whole Body Mind’ approach. The rating emphasises on the built environment which plays a vital role in the wellness of the occupant and should be closely knitted with people centric design.
Health and Well-being of an individual is addressed holistically only when the following aspects have been taken care:
Source: Indian Green Building Council website
Healthy living practices and measurement techniques in the built environment can help in addressing the following:
Awareness Creation amongst occupants
- Awareness on indoor air quality, water quality and consumption requirement, along with their impacts
- Awareness on importance of fitness, nutritional choices and eco-friendly practices
Improvements in Built environment
- Improved Visual comfort, Thermal comfort, Olfactory comfort and Acoustic comfort for the building occupants
- Improved Hygiene and better sanitation
- Caring environment and safer surroundings
Positive impact on Health of Occupants
- Lower sickness rates, spread of diseases, physical strain and associated health impacts in occupants
- Enhanced fitness levels of the occupants
- Reduces health hazards and related Communicable and Non- Communicable Diseases such as Chronic Respiratory Diseases (CRD), Cancer, Visual and Hearing Impairments, Cardiovascular Diseases, Chronic Respiratory Diseases and Bone & Joint Disorders etc.
- Improved quality of life, health and well-being of the occupants
Credit Areas for Health and Well being Rating
The IGBC Health & Well-being Rating is designed to certify new buildings and existing buildings of all commercial developments. To facilitate wider implementation, the rating system is made simple, practical and easily implementable. All related communicable and non-communicable diseases for various measures have also been considered. The IGBC Health & Well-being Rating is applicable for buildings which are occupied and in operation for at least 1 year.