LEED Certification for Homes – EA PREREQUISITE: EDUCATION OF HOMEOWNER, TENANT, OR BUILDING MANAGER
Provide to all individuals or organizations responsible for ongoing maintenance of the home (e.g., occupants, building managers, maintenance contractors) an operations and maintenance manual, binder, or CD that includes all the following items:
- the completed checklist of LEED for Homes features; a copy of each signed accountability form;
- copies of all ENERGY STAR for Home, version 3, checklists;
- product manufacturers’ manuals for all installed equipment, fixtures, and appliances; general information on efficient use of energy, water, and natural resources;
- operations and maintenance guidance for any installed equipment, including space heating and cooling, mechanical ventilation, humidity control, radon protection, renewable energy, and irrigation, rainwater harvesting, or graywater systems (following 2009 EPA WaterSense Single- Family New Home Specifications, item 5.0, Homeowner Education);
- guidance on occupants’ activities and choices, including cleaning materials and methods, water- efficient landscaping, integrated pest management, effects of chemical fertilizers and pesticides, irrigation, lighting selection, and appliance selection;
- information on local green power options; and
- information on sharing utility data with USGBC via a USGBC-approved third party.
In addition, conduct a minimum one-hour walkthrough of the home with the occupants. For buildings with building managers, include the building manager. The walkthrough must feature the following:
- identification of all installed equipment;
- instruction in how to use and operate the equipment; and
- information on its maintenance.