LEED Certification for Homes – EQ PREREQUISITE: COMBUSTION VENTING
- Do not install any unvented combustion appliances (ovens and ranges excluded).
- Install a carbon monoxide (CO) monitor on each floor, hard-wired with a battery backup. In multifamily buildings, install a CO monitor on each floor of each unit.
- For all fireplaces and woodstoves inside the building, provide doors that close or a solid glass enclosure.
Space- and water-heating equipment that involves combustion must meet one of the following:
- it must be designed and installed with closed combustion (i.e., sealed supply air and exhaust ducting);
- it must be designed and installed with power-vented exhaust; or
- it must be located in a detached utility building or open-air facility.
Projects that earn the EPA Indoor airPLUS label automatically meet the requirements of this prerequisite.