LEED CERTIFICATION- REQUIREMENTS FOR SS CREDIT: PLACES OF RESPITE
To provide patients, staff, and visitors with the health benefits of the natural environment by creating outdoor places of respite on the healthcare campus.
Total No. of Possible Points – (1- point)
This credit applies to- Healthcare
Provide places of respite that are accessible to patients and visitors, equal to 5% of the net usable program area of the building.
Provide additional dedicated places of respite for staff, equal to 2% of the net usable program area of the building.
Places of respite must be outdoors, or be located in interior atria, greenhouses, solaria, or conditioned spaces; such interior spaces may be used to meet up to 30% of the required area if 90% of each qualifying space’s gross floor area achieves a direct line of sight to unobstructed views of nature.
All areas must meet the following requirements.
- The area is accessible from within the building or located within 200 feet (60 meters) of a building entrance or access point.
- The area is located where no medical intervention or direct medical care is delivered.
- Options for shade or indirect sun are provided, with at least one seating space per 200 square feet (18.5 square meters) of each respite area, with one wheelchair space per five seating spaces.
- Horticulture therapy and other specific clinical or special-use gardens unavailable to all building occupants may account for no more than 50% of the required area.
- Universal-access natural trails that are available to visitors, staff, or patients may account for no more than 30% of the required area, provided the trailhead is within 200 feet (60 meters) of a building entrance.
Additionally, outdoor areas must meet the following requirements.
- A minimum of 25% of the total outdoor area must be planted with two or more adapted or native vegetation types, or have overhead vegetated canopy.
- The area is open to fresh air, the sky, and the natural elements.
- Signage must meet the 2010 FGI Guidelines for Design and Construction of Health Care Facilities (Section 1.2-6.3 and Appendix A1.2-6.3:Wayfinding).
- Places of respite may not be within 25 feet (7.6 meters) of a smoking area (see EQ Prerequisite Environmental Tobacco Smoke Control).
Existing places of respite on the hospital campus may qualify if they otherwise meet the credit requirements.