NET METERING POLICY – GUJARAT
Net metering is the mechanism that allows distribution companies monitor the user’s energy production and consumption. This mechanism also allows consumers who generate some or all of their own electricity to use that electricity anytime, instead of when it is generated. For an instance, consider a prosumer is generating and consuming the electricity and has surplus amount of energy. The surplus amount of energy is feed into the grid. There is another facility to transfer the surplus energy into the grid and use the same amount anytime. This facility is called as Banking.
The net metering policy can vary significantly from country to country and state to state. Most net metering laws involve monthly rollover of KWh credits. Net metering uses the single, and bi-directional meters and can measure the current flowing in both the directions. Net metering can be installed and solely responsible as an accounting procedure, requires no special notification or arrangement. The list of aspects considered for net metering policy are listed one by one for Gujarat state.
Title – Net Metering Rooftop Solar PV Grid Interactive Systems
Order Dated on – Regulations for Net Metering Rooftop Solar PV Grid Interactive Systems, Notification No. 5/2016, dated 18th June, 2016
- Solar plant capacity up to 6 kW, Single phase, 2 Wire
- Solar plant capacity above 6 kW and up to 15 kW, three phase, 4 Wire
- Solar Plant Capacity above 15 kW and up to 50 kW, three phase, 4 Wire
Eligible Consumer and Individual Plant Capacity–
- Be a consumer of the local distribution licensee.
- Own or be in legal possession of the premises including the rooftop or terrace or building or infrastructure or open areas of the land or part or combination thereof on which the Solar PV System is proposed to be installed.
- Connect the proposed Rooftop Solar PV System to the Distribution System of the Licensee.
- Consume all of the electricity generated from the Rooftop Solar PV System at the same premises. If the consumer is not able to consume all of generated electricity in the same premises, he shall be governed by Regulation 9 of these Regulations.
Interconnection with the Grid-
- The interconnection of the Rooftop Solar PV System with the network of the distribution licensee shall be made as per the Central Electricity Authority Regulations, 2007, CEA Regulations, 2013 and GERC Regulations, 2011 as amended from time to time.
- The Rooftop Solar PV Energy Generator shall be responsible for safe operation, maintenance and rectification of defects of its system up to the interconnection point beyond which the responsibility of safe operation, maintenance and rectification of any defects in the system including the net meter shall rest with the distribution licensee.
Wheeling & Cross Subsidy surcharge – No wheeling and cross subsidy surcharge for Gujarat state
Metering Arrangement –
- The metering system shall be as per the Central Electricity Authority (Installation & Operation of Meters) Regulations, 2006 as amended from time to time.
- Bi-directional meter or alternately two separate meters for import and export of the same accuracy class as the consumer’s meter existing before the commissioning of the Rooftop Solar PV System shall be installed in replacement of existing meter. Such meters may be provided by the distribution licensee or consumer. If the meter is installed by the distribution licensee in that case, cost of the same shall be recovered from the consumer.
- Industrial, Commercial and Other consumers utilizing both ‘energy attribute’ as well as ‘renewable attribute’ of the generated solar energy shall have to use ABT compliant meter.
- These meters shall be Meter Reading instrument (MRI) or wireless equipment compliant for recording meter readings.
- The main Solar Meters shall be of 0.2s class accuracy and with facility for recording meter readings using Meter Reading Instrument (MRI) or wireless equipment. Check meters shall be mandatory for Rooftop Solar PV Systems having capacity more than 20 kW.
- The meter reading taken by the distribution licensee shall form the basis of commercial settlement.
The net energy metering policy and the additional information for the Gujarat state can be seen in the link provided below.