NET METERING POLICY – PUNJAB
Net metering is the mechanism that allows distribution companies monitor the user’s energy production and consumption. This mechanism also allows consumers who generate some or all of their own electricity to use that electricity anytime, instead of when it is generated. For an instance, consider a prosumer is generating and consuming the electricity and has surplus amount of energy. The surplus amount of energy is feed into the grid. There is another facility to transfer the surplus energy into the grid and use the same amount anytime. This facility is called as Banking.
The net metering policy can vary significantly from country to country and state to state. Most net metering laws involve monthly rollover of kWh credits. Net metering uses the single, and bi-directional meters and can measure the current flowing in both the directions. Net metering can be installed and solely responsible as an accounting procedure, requires no special notification or arrangement. The list of aspects considered for net metering policy are listed one by one for Punjab.
Title – Rooftop Solar PV Grid Interactive
Order Dated on – Grid Interactive Rooftop Solar Photo Voltaic Systems based on net Metering) Regulations- 2015. Dated 7.5.2015
- Distribution Licensee and consumers of electricity of Licensee in the State of Punjab
- System to be located in the consumer premises.
- Also applicable to consumers who have installed the system before commencement of these Regulations
Eligible Consumer and Individual Plant Capacity–
- All eligible consumers in the Licensee area of the supply may participate in Rooftop SPV subject to target
- Maximum capacity shall not exceed 80% of the sanctioned load/contract demand of the consumer
- Installed capacity to be not less than 1 kWp and not exceed 1 MWp for a single consumer
- Third party owned net metering model also allowed
Interconnection with the Grid-
- Interconnection system and meters to conform to the standards, specifications and provisions as provided in CEA Regulations
- Grid interactive SPV may be installed with or without battery backup
Wheeling & Cross Subsidy surcharge –
- Rooftop Solar system under net metering both self/third party owned, installed on eligible consumer premises, exempted from various provisions of PSERC (Terms & Conditions for Intra State Open Access) Regulations – 2011
Metering Arrangement –
- Solar meter to be installed at generation point by Solar Energy System and delivered to the main
- Meters to be installed and maintained by the Distribution Licensee at the cost of the eligible consumer
- In case the consumer is under the ambit of time of day tariff, meters compliant of recording time of day consumption / generation to be installed
The net energy metering policy and the additional information for the Punjab state can be seen in the link provided below.