Pre consideration before finalizing solar rooftop system
- Is the owner of the roof the owner of the solar PV system?
- Have you assessed the revenue streams or avoided costs of the project?
- Have you assessed system configuration options for a specific project?
- Are you aware of the costs of the different system configurations?
- Do you know the load profile of your electricity consumption?
- Have you checked whether net metering arrangements are offered by your local utility?
- If you opt for a solar lease, have you checked companies that offer solar lease agreements?
- Is the rooftop in general suitable for a PV installation, with regard to structural stability, orientation and tilt?
- If the roof cannot be used, is it possible to install the PV system on the ground, i.e., in the yard, on a covered carport or as a veranda awning?
- Is the intended PV system location free of shading from chimneys, trees, nearby buildings and hills?
- Do you know what the solar PV system capacity should be (determination of needed electricity and amount to be generated by the PV system)?
- Do you know what the dimensions of the PV system installation should be (determination of installation area needed)?
- Is the plot that is set aside large enough?
- Is the plot that is set aside accessible?
- What should be the specifications of the PV system: grid-tied, off-grid, battery storage, back-up?
- Is access to the utility grid straightforward?